from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To enclose with or as if with a paste or crust.
- transitive v. To paint by applying thick layers of pigment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To knead; to make into paste; to concrete.
- v. To lay colour on canvas by uniting them skillfully together. See impasto.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To knead; to make into paste; to concrete.
- transitive v. To lay color on canvas by uniting them skillfully together. Cf. Impasto.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make into paste; knead.
- In painting, to lay on thickly and boldly the colors of.
im- in + paste: compare Italian impastare, Old French empaster. (Wiktionary)