from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In potential but not in actuality.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. in possibility, having a potential to exist, in potential but not in actuality, (contradistinguished by in esse)
- adv. in possibility, having a potential to exist, in potential but not in actuality, (contradistinguished by in esse)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- In possibility; possible, although not yet in existence or come to pass; -- contradistinguished from
- n. See In posse in the Vocabulary.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In a potential state of being; not yet actually existing, but ready to come into existence when certain conditions are fulfilled.
Medieval Latin : Latin in, in + Latin posse, to be able.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From in meaning "in" + posse meaning "to be able" or "to can". (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.