from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- With appeal to; often used to introduce oaths
- By the authority of.
- Under the name or possession of
- Under the designation or excuse of
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- prep. in behalf of; on the part of; by authority; as, it was done in the name of the people; -- often used in invocation, swearing, praying, and the like.
- n. In the represented or assumed character of.
Sorry, no etymologies found.