American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. In an artificial environment outside the living organism: an egg fertilized in vitro; in vitro fertilization.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Within glass, that is, a test-tube: said of chemical reactions, bacterial cultures, etc., obtained experimentally in the test-tube as contrasted with those occurring in vivo, that is, within the living body.
- adj. In an artificial environment outside the living organism.
- adv. In an artificial environment outside the living organism.
- adv. in an artificial environment outside the living organism
- adj. in an artificial environment outside the living organism
- From Latin in vitro ("within the glass") (Wiktionary)
- New Latin in vitrō : Latin in, in + Latin vitrō, ablative of vitrum, glass. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“We're pacing an in vitro hepatoblastoma as it approaches pulmonary tissue.”
“Correlation of two-hybrid affinity data with in vitro measurements.”
“This high-tech but increasingly widespread practice has added a new twist to in vitro fertilization.”
“Fetal development identical to that observed in utero is obtained in vitro through four days post-fertilization with human egg and sperm, and with other vertebrates for much larger fractions of total gestation.”
“Frequency of drug resistance in Plasmodium falciparum: a nonsynergistic combination of 5-fluoroorotate and atovaquone suppresses in vitro resistance.”
“An emergency C-section and subsequent transfusion had saved her life, but the scrawny baby had been in distress in vitro and had been fussy and colicky for the ï¬rst year of his life.”
“Diamond, Ethanol regulation of adenosine receptor-stimulated cAMP levels in a clonal neural cell line: an in vitro model of cellular tolerance to ethanol, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 83 1986: 2105-8.”
“Herz, Effects of chronic ethanol treatment on the in vitro biosynthesis of pro-opiomelanocortin and its posttranslational processing of beta-endorphin in the intermediate lobe of the rat pituitary, Journal of Neurochemistry 43 1984: 607-13.”
“Intracytoplasmic injection, or ICI, is an extension of current in vitro fertilization techniques.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘in vitro’.
terms found in documentation for implantable medical devices and IVD equip
habitable climate, habitable space, habitat alteration, habitat destruction, habitat diversity, habitat fragmenta..., habitat of organisms, habitat of the bi..., habitat protection, habitat requirement, habitat selection, habitat structure and 3456 more...
Commonly used Latin expressions
Latin is, for all intents and purposes, a dead language. Yet its ghost continues to haunt those of us who speak English.
Looking for tweets for in vitro.