from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An anvil-shaped bone between the malleus and the stapes in the mammalian middle ear. Also called anvil.
- n. A thunderhead.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small anvil-shaped bone in the middle ear.
- n. an accessory cloud, in the shape of an anvil which forms by spreading at the top of a cumulonimbus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An anvil.
- n. One of the small bones in the tympanum of the ear; the anvil bone. See Ear.
- n. The central portion of the armature of the pharynx in the Rotifera.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology and anatomy: One of the bones of the inner (middle) ear of a mammal: so named from its fancied resemblance to an anvil.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the ossicle between the malleus and the stapes
Latin incūs, incūd-, anvil, from incūsus, past participle of incūdere, to forge with a hammer : in-, intensive pref.; see in-2 + cūdere, to beat, forge; see kau- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin incūs ("anvil"). (Wiktionary)