from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In printing, a small square table, sometimes with a slightly raised rim, used with some hand-presses, on which printing-ink is spread out or distributed in a thin film, to be taken up by the inking-roller.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • In the old method of inking type, by large hemispherical balls stuffed and covered with leather, the printer, after taking a small portion of ink from the ink-block, was continually rolling the balls in various directions against each other, in order that a thin layer of ink might be uniformly spread over their surface.

    On the Economy of Machinery and Manufactures

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.