from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In printing, a table of wood, iron, or stone, used with some kinds of hand- and power-presses, on which printing-ink is evenly spread out in a thin film, to be taken up by the inking-roller or gang of rollers, which conveys it to the type.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.