from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An enveloping sheath or envelope.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sheath that covers or envelopes, especially one that forms around the sequestrum of new bone
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See Involucre.
- n. A sheath which surrounds the base of the lasso cells in the Siphonophora.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology, a kind of sheath or involucre about the bases of the thread-cells of acalephs.
- n. In botany: Same as involucre.
- n. Same as velum.
- n. In pathology, a wall of new osseous tissue inclosing the sequestrum in a case of necrosis.
New Latin involūcrum, from Latin, wrapper, envelope, from involvere, to enwrap; see involve.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)