from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The clear variety of cordierite.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A silicate of alumina, iron, and magnesia, having a bright blue color and vitreous luster; cordierite. It is remarkable for its dichroism, and is also called dichroite. A variety called Caribbean iolite has a lighter blue color.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A silicate of magnesium, aluminium, and iron, a mineral of a violet-blue color with a shade of purple or black.
The piece she most covets is a one-of-a-kind, chunky iolite and pink sapphire ring by Gioia $9,950.
Her favorites include this cocktail ring with a 3.5-carat Gioia iolite center and 8.99 carats of pave pink sapphires.
I have now been using the apparatus for nearly a month, and in its earliest days it led me right in the diagnosis of a microscopical mineral, iolite, not before found in our Irish granite, I think.
There is not one in a hundred jewelers who is acquainted with the physical properties of the gems, and very few can distinguish the diamond from the white zircon or the white topaz, the emerald from the tourmaline of similar hue, the sapphire from iolite, or the topaz from the Bohemian yellow quartz.
The large bluish stone which the gentleman acquired with the red stones proved to be iolite, sometimes called cordierite or water-sapphire
Her LUXE designs are filled with precious and semi-precious gemstones such as apatite, iolite and hessonite delicately clustered with emerald, ruby and topaz.
Iolite Known in some cultures as water sapphire, iolite is said to support inner strength, self-confidence and leadership qualities.
Then there's iolite, which helped ancient mariners find the sun on cloudy days.
- You can purchase sapphire or iolite jewelry for that September birthday if you are stuck on ideas.
- September born people really enjoy birthstone jewellery that includes sapphire and iolite jewelry.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.