from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To convert or be converted totally or partially into ions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To dissociate atoms or molecules into electrically charged species; to be thus dissociated.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. to dissociate into ions, as by dissolution in water or another polar solvent.
- transitive v. To convert (an atom or molecule) into ions, e. g. by dissolving in water, by reaction with acid or alkali, or by interaction with ionizing radiation. See ionization.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To Ionicize.
- In physical chemistry: To separate into ions: said of the solvent in which an electrolyte is dissolved.
- To produce ions in (air or other gas): said of Röntgen rays, of cathode and various other rays, of the electric field, of a glowing metal, and of violet light.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. become converted into ions
- v. convert into ions
ion + -ize (Wiktionary)