American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act or process of pressing clothes with a heated iron.
- n. The clothing pressed or to be pressed with a heated iron.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In laundry-work: The act of smoothing with hot irons.
- n. The clothes so smoothed.
- n. In metallurgy, the adherence of imperfectly fused masses of iron to the twyers.
- v. present participle of iron.
- n. The act of pressing clothes with an iron.
- n. Laundry that has been washed and is ready to be ironed.
- n. Laundry that has recently been ironed.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act or process of smoothing, as clothes, with hot flatirons.
- n. The clothes ironed.
- n. garments (clothes or linens) that are to be (or have been) ironed
- n. the work of using heat to smooth washed clothes in order to remove any wrinkles
“Regarding the last sentence of the post, and to quote Bart Simpson, “the ironing is delicious”.”
“I always remember when we took in ironing and my mom waitressed and washed dishes in restaurants, as well as cleaning houses.”
“Obviously there are issues to be worked out about the privacy of your computer and so forth, but these really are minor hiccups in ironing out what it is people actually want (hysterical copy-fighter rantings notwithstanding).”
“Am I the only one who noticed that there is a man with a world record in ironing?”
“Okay, I'm by no means this hardcore - ironing is just too darned frustrating for me.”
““Breast ironing is an age-old practice in Cameroon, as well as in many other countries in West and Central Africa, including Chad, Togo, Benin, Guinea-Conakry, just to name a few,” said Flavien Ndonko, an anthropologist and local representative of German development agency GTZ, which sponsored the survey.”
“Some people think that ironing is no longer necessary or important, but even if some kinds of jobs do not require it, pressed clothing is a part of good grooming and sends the message that you take pride in yourself and your work.”
“The ironing is not much of a problem with mine-they are flat when empty.”
“They had known the previous owner, a Victorian lady who had taken in ironing for a living.”
“Breast ironing is an age-old practice in Cameroon, as well as in many other countries in West and Central Africa, including Chad, Togo, Benin, Guinea-Conakry, just to name a few," said Flavien Ndonko, an anthropologist and local representative of German development agency GTZ, which sponsored the survey.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ironing’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A list about iron, irons, and irony.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Looking for tweets for ironing.