from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various plants of the genus Vernonia, having alternate leaves and clusters of purplish flower heads.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of certain species of the genus Vernonia of forbs and shrubs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A tall weed with purplish flowers (Vernonia Noveboracensis). The name is also applied to other plants of the same genus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as flattop.
- n. Also, any of the species of the genus Vernonia, handsome composite plants of North America. See Vernonia.
- n. The blue vervain, Verbena hastata.
- n. The black knapweed, Centaurea nigra. Also called ironhead.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various plants of the genus Vernonia of tropical and warm regions of especially North America that take their name from their loose heads of purple to rose flowers that quickly take on a rusty hue
iron + weed (Wiktionary)