from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. (of points on a surface, or in a medium) having equal densities
- n. A line on a chart connecting points of equal density
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having equal density, as different regions of a medium; passing through points at which the density is equal.
- n. A line or surface passing through those points in a medium, at which the density is the same.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to or indicating equality of density: as, an isopycnic line.
- n. A line or surface, in a substance or medium, at every point of which the density is the same. Also isopyc.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I mulled this mystery over in my head as I worked in lab through the mind-numbing preparation of double-banding plasmid DNA on isopycnic CsCl gradients for transfection (just before Qiagen kits, you young whippersnappers).
However, using a combination of isopycnic density (equilibrium) centrifugation and florescent particle sorting, the researchers, led by Dr Toni Aebischer of the Institute of Immunology and Infection Research at the University of Edinburgh, managed to purify the amastigote form of
After the transgenic parasites had been allowed to infect a number of host cells, they separated the cell components by weight using isopycnic density centrifugation before sorting the fluorescent parasites from the other cellular material using a fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS) techniques.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.