Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to or indicating equality of density: as, an isopycnic line.
- n. A line or surface, in a substance or medium, at every point of which the density is the same. Also isopyc.
- adj. physics (of points on a surface, or in a medium) having equal densities
- n. A line on a chart connecting points of equal density
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Physics) Having equal density, as different regions of a medium; passing through points at which the density is equal.
- n. (Physics) A line or surface passing through those points in a medium, at which the density is the same.
“I mulled this mystery over in my head as I worked in lab through the mind-numbing preparation of double-banding plasmid DNA on isopycnic CsCl gradients for transfection (just before Qiagen kits, you young whippersnappers).”
“However, using a combination of isopycnic density (equilibrium) centrifugation and florescent particle sorting, the researchers, led by Dr Toni Aebischer of the Institute of Immunology and Infection Research at the University of Edinburgh, managed to purify the amastigote form of”
“After the transgenic parasites had been allowed to infect a number of host cells, they separated the cell components by weight using isopycnic density centrifugation before sorting the fluorescent parasites from the other cellular material using a fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS) techniques.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘isopycnic’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Interesting words worth @ least 15 points.
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
Interesting words you probably won't hear in your day-to-day.
Looking for tweets for isopycnic.