from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A business whose capital is held in transferable shares of stock by its joint owners.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A company with transferable ownership interests and limited shareholder liability.
- n. A company with transferable ownership interests and unlimited shareholder liability.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a species of partnership, consisting generally of a large number of members, having a capital divided, or agreed to be divided, into shares, the shares owned by any member being usually transferable without the consent of the rest.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a company (usually unincorporated) which has the capital of its members pooled in a common fund; transferable shares represent ownership interest; shareholders are legally liable for all debts of the company
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.