from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A machine or tool used in making joints.
  • noun A tool used to cut grooves indicating the joints in cement.
  • noun A triangular attachment to a plow used in covering trash or refuse.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun An obsolete form of jointure.
  • noun In the West Indies, Piper geniculatum, a shrub with much swollen nodes or joints, and which sometimes forms almost impenetrable thickets.
  • noun One who has a jointure or a jointure-settlement.
  • noun One who or that which joints.
  • noun In masonry, a bent strip of iron inserted into a wall to strengthen a joint.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun One who, or that which, joints.
  • noun A plane for smoothing the surfaces of pieces which are to be accurately joined.
  • noun The longest plane used by a joiner.
  • noun (Coopering) A long stationary plane, for planing the edges of barrel staves.
  • noun A bent piece of iron inserted to strengthen the joints of a wall.
  • noun A tool for pointing the joints in brickwork.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun literally One that joints.
  • noun Any of various tools used to construct or finish joints, especially:
  • noun An equivalent machine, notably used to produce a flat surface on boards

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a long carpenter's plane used to shape the edges of boards so they will fit together


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

to joint + -er.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word jointer.


  • The wearing coat is next divided into sections corresponding with the sections into which the base is divided, by cutting through it with a trowel guided by a straight edge and then rounding the edges of the cut with a special tool called a jointer and shown by Fig. 117.

    Concrete Construction Methods and Costs Halbert Powers Gillette

  • After the mortar has set, but before it has begun to harden, use a bent round bar called a "jointer" to "tool" each joint: run the bar along each horizontal joint, pressing against the mortar firmly.

    Chapter 6 1977

  • Using the slender trowel, I believe called a "jointer" or "joint trowel" (keep in mind my entire knowledge of masonry has been gleaned from catching the odd episode of DIY Network's "Rock Solid") I shaved off excess mud from the joint, did my best to smooth the mortar, and used the brush to finish.

    OmniNerd 2009

  • Well, I don't know, but I reckon they never picked up a double jointer before and you'd think with all that souped-up space technology they got they'd have used something stronger than plain old rope.

    Wounded Knee Jason W. Stuart 2011

  • Near that was a table saw, a radial-arm saw, and a jointer beside a tidy workbench.

    Static 2010

  • Run the boards through your planer preferably on the unpainted side but if need be, on the painted side as you suggested and then the sides through the table saw or jointer.

    PrairieMod Monday 2007

  • Just wondering if it's worth bringing a jointer and planer down.

    Power tools 2006

  • Just wondering if it's worth bringing a jointer and planer down.

    Power tools 2006

  • Just wondering if it's worth bringing a jointer and planer down.

    Power tools 2006

  • Just wondering if it's worth bringing a jointer and planer down.

    Power tools 2006


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.