American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Slang The control stick of an aircraft.
- n. Slang A manual control or cursor device, as one attached to a computer or video game.
- n. A mechanical device consisting of a handgrip mounted on a base or pedestal and typically having one or more buttons, used to control an aircraft, computer or other equipment.
- n. slang A penis.
- v. rare To manoeuvre by means of a joystick.
- n. a lever used by a pilot to control the ailerons and elevators of an airplane
- n. a manual control consisting of a vertical handle that can move freely in two directions; used as an input device to computers or to devices controlled by computers
- joy + stick (Wiktionary)
“It's not surprising that Mr. Bush doesn't use e-mail -- any computer without a joystick is above his clock-speed (not to mention the fact that he spent an hour looking around on the keyboard for the "Any" key when the software said, "Hit Any Key to Continue ...")”
“There are add-ons, like a built-in dictionary, but navigating the menus with the tiny joystick is frustrating and slow.”
“What the hell is with Uhura's desk-lamp and twin joystick podium?”
“Innate human need. joystick is a phallic symbol. perhaps some lube involved. get it.”
“The, er, joystick is placed quite strategically, which I honestly didn't notice until after I had it on ...”
“The control disc: Before the Intellivision, the joystick was the de facto input mechanism.”
“Meanwhile, reading the otherwise excellent Racing the Beam: The Atari Video Computer System, I hit this sentence: "The player controls the plane with a joystick, which is seen from the side.”
“I think he's a plumber... thus I assume the potatoes are actually a case of "plumber butt," and the joystick is a plunger!”
“Most electric wheelchairs are operated by a joystick, which is much easier to use than a manual wheelchair.”
“You move by holding down the large button on the top of the controller and tilting the wand like it was a joystick, which is far from intuitive.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘joystick’.
Euphemisms for the penis.
A Testicle by Any Other Name
Ward, I'm worried about the beaver
For a more inclusive list, see sionnach's tom, dick and harry.
Also see the list Bad Sentences by abigail.
My big word list.
Amusingly-named mechanical and electrical parts to be found in a particular warehouse in Newfoundland
visions of witfulness and vision - a wise guise
*sigh* I wish I had lived in the barnstorming era. In my flying days, I loved nothing more than flipping around in the air and landing in fields or on dirt runways. (^-^)
Looking for tweets for joystick.