from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A group dance, probably of West African origin, characterized by complex rhythmic clapping and body movements and practiced on plantations in the southern United States during the 18th and 19th centuries.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The mane of an animal.
- n. A loose panicle whose axis falls to pieces, as in certain grasses.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A dance developed by slaves in the U. S., having a lively tune and accompanied by a complex rhythmic clapping, and by slapping the thighs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology, the long, thick-set hair on the neck, chest, or back of certain quadrupeds; a mane.
- n. In botany, a loose panicle with the axis deliquescent; also, a dense cluster of awns, as in the spikes of some grasses.
- n. A characteristic dance of the plantation negroes in the southern United States.
He used to tell us about how they used to eat ends of food; that's what "juba" means.
In the United States, occasional mention of "juba" may be found in songs, generally associated with hand-clapping, but the dance itself appears to have been lost ....
Possibly a variant spelling of "juba", which is a name of a type of dance in African American culture, which flourished along with the
Invade some butternut or hickory grove on a frosty October morning, and hear the red squirrel beat the "juba" on a horizontal branch.
Stopping near this a few minutes, two of them danced the "juba," while the rest whistled and applauded.
I guess the mosquito in juba looked at me and thought I was the bar.
See, et kas see film ka meeldib või mitte, see on juba omaette teema.
Samas, tuleb tunnistada, et päris minu rida see üritus polnud, sest suur hulk neid nn kõige olulisemaid filme olid sellised, mida ma juba eelinfo põhjal vaatamata jätan.
Rahvusvaheline olukord on teadagi pingeline, hoolimata sellest, et Prantsuse sõda sai läbi juba üheksa aasta eest, täpsemalt 1948. aastal.
Ja siis selgus, et meil tuleb vahetult enne seda lahkuda... ja nüüd leidsin wõrgust juba inglise subtiitritega versiooni...
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.