from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A white, gray, pink, or black mineral, MgSO4·KCl·3H2O, used as a fertilizer and a source of potassium compounds.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A saline evaporite, consisting of magnesium sulphate and potassium chloride with the chemical formula MgSO4·KCl·3H2O, found in German salt mines.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A compound salt consisting chiefly of potassium chloride and magnesium sulphate, occurring at the Stassfurt salt mines in Prussian Saxony.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hydrous magnesium sulphate with potassium chlorid, occurring in beds of considerable extent at the salt-mines of Stassfurt, Germany.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a white mineral consisting of magnesium sulphate and potassium chloride; a source of potassium salts; used as a fertilizer
To the substances used for treating brewing liquors already mentioned we may add kainite, a naturally deposited composite salt containing potassium and magnesium sulphates and magnesium chloride.
Copperas or blue stone, kainite and superphosphate are sometimes used for the same purpose.
The crude salts, kainite and sylvinite, and the muriate contain chlorine and are not considered good for potatoes and tobacco as the chlorine lowers the quality of these products.
For over a century, rock phosphate and kainite -- a soft, readily soluble naturally occurring rock rich in potassium, magnesium and sulfur -- have been ground and used as fertilizer.
Acid phosphate and kainite added to the manure may pay handsomely.
K - a light soft silver-white metallic element of the alkali metal group; oxidizes rapidly in air and reacts violently with water; is abundant in nature in combined forms occurring in sea water and in carnallite and kainite and sylvite
Ph. D., said, "Tezampanel and its oral prodrug NGX426 are the first glutamate receptor antagonists to be tested in human pain trials with combined binding activity at the AMPA and kainite receptor subtypes.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.