American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various long-tailed rodents of the genus Dipodomys of arid areas of western North America, with long hind legs adapted for jumping.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An Australian marsupial of the family Macropodidœ, subfamily Potoroinœ or Hypsiprymninœ, and genus Potorous (or Hypsiprymnus), Æpiprymnus, or Bettongia; a bettong; a potoroo.
- n. An American rodent of the family Saccomyidœ and subfamily Dipodomyinœ, as Dipodomys phillipsi or D. ordi. They resemble jerboas rather than kangaroos, and are common in the southwestern parts of the United States and Mexico. See Dipodomys.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zool.) A jumping rodent of the genus Dipodomys of the family
Heteromyidae, which lives in arid regions of Mexico and the western U. S.
- n. (Zool.) An Australian mammal of the genus Notomys.
- n. (Zool.) a small ratlike Australian kangaroo of the genus Potorous, also called the
- n. (Zoöl.) the potoroo.
- n. any of various leaping rodents of desert regions of North America and Mexico; largest members of the family Heteromyidae
- n. any of several rabbit-sized ratlike Australian kangaroos
“The echoes I took to be approaching canyoneers resolve into the scratchy sounds of a kangaroo rat in his nest in the debris jammed around the suspended chockstone above and behind my head.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘kangaroo rat’.
Animals that are described or defined by other animals
Looking for tweets for kangaroo rat.