Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A blennioid fish, Heterostichus rostratus. It has a scaly body with a conspicuous lateral line, a small pointed head, and a very long dorsal fin with about 37 spines and 13 rays, the 5 anterior spines being wide apart, and separated from the rest by a notch. It attains a length of about 15 inches, and is common along the Pacific coast of America, from San Francisco to Santiago.
- n. A labroid fish, Platyglossus semicinctus, with 9 dorsal spines, and of a greenish-brown color with bright reflections. It is common southward along the Lower Californian coast.
- n. Any fish of the family Ditremidæ, found on the west coast of the United States.
- n. A name applied to a number of other, unrelated fishes living among the kelp, as rock-fish is applied to those living in rocky places. In Australasia: The butter-fish, Coridodax pullus, of the family Labridæ.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A small California food fish (Heterostichus rostratus), living among kelp. The name is also applied to species of the genus Platyglossus.
- kelp + fish (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘kelpfish’.
lots and lots of fish, a piscatorial
words not found in other
dictionaries,these are from Macquarie
Dictionary and not playable in
Looking for tweets for kelpfish.