from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A perciform fish in the family Chironemidae, native to coastal Australia and New Zealand.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small California food fish (Heterostichus rostratus), living among kelp. The name is also applied to species of the genus Platyglossus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A blennioid fish, Heterostichus rostratus.
- n. A labroid fish, Platyglossus semicinctus, with 9 dorsal spines, and of a greenish-brown color with bright reflections. It is common southward along the Lower Californian coast.
- n. Any fish of the family Ditremidæ, found on the west coast of the United States.
- n. A name applied to a number of other, unrelated fishes living among the kelp, as rock-fish is applied to those living in rocky places.
kelp + fish (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.