from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cask.
- n. An obsolete English measure of capacity equal to about 18 gallons (68 liters).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small barrel.
- n. An old English liquid measure, usually being half a barrel; containing 18 English beer gallons, or nearly twenty-two gallons, United States measure.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small barrel; an old liquid measure containing eighteen English beer gallons, or nearly twenty-two gallons, United States measure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A measure of capacity, half a barrel or 2 firkins.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an obsolete British unit of capacity equal to 18 Imperial gallons
Middle English, alteration of Middle Flemish kinderkin, variant of Middle Dutch kindekijn : quintel, quintlein, quintal (from Medieval Latin quintāle; see quintal) + -kijn, diminutive suff.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)