American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A small agile African antelope (Oreotragus oreotragus) having large ears.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pygmyantelope of South Africa, Oreotragus saltatrix or Nanotragus oreotragus, inhabiting the rocky fastnesses of the Cape. It is agile and sure-footed like the chamois, which it resembles inhabits. It stands about 28 inches high, and the male has small horns about 4 inches long. The flesh is esteemed for food, and the long bristly hair is much used for stuffing saddles.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A small, graceful South African antelope (Nanotragus oreotragus), which, like the chamois, springs from one crag to another with great agility; -- called also
- Afrikaans, literally "rock jumper". (Wiktionary)
- Afrikaans : klip, cliff (from Middle Dutch klippe) + springer, jumper (from springen, to leap, from Middle Dutch). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“You might meet an occasional "klipspringer" (an antelope in habits and appearance somewhat like the chamois), a wandering troop of baboons, and now and then a herd of eland in the more grassy areas.”
“You might meet an occasional "klipspringer" (an antelope, in habits and appearance somewhat like the chamois), a wandering troop of baboons, and now and then a herd of eland in the more grassy areas.”
“Louis's garrulous mother, Gerty, has flown up from South Africa to be our cook, and grills up tasty servings of klipspringer and gemsbok, which we wash down with Windhoek lagers, supposedly brewed to German purity rules.”
“Something waves into view: a desert mirage, the likeness of something jinking towards us, like a klipspringer.”
“The fauna in the Swartberg and Cederberg protected areas reflects their location close to the fynbos-Karoo interface with species such as grysbok Raphicerus melanotis, grey rhebuck Pelea capreolus and klipspringer Oreotragus oreotragus, steenbok Raphicerus campestris and grey duiker Sylvicapra grimmia, as well as karoo species not usually found in mountain fynbos such as springbok Antidorcas marsupialus.”
“The more open grasslands and heathlands contain fewer mammal species, with the klipspringer (Oreotragus oreotragus), sable antelope (Papio cynocephalus), eland (Taurotragus oryx) and hyraxes (Procavia capensis) being the most conspicuous.”
“Populations of klipspringer have decreased in recent years in Simien National Park, possibly due to increased human activity.”
“Large populations of several antelopes are present and include an estimated population of 1,500-2,000 of the endemic grey rhebok Pelea capreolus, 1,000 reedbuck Redunca arundinum, and approximately 2,000 eland Taurotragus oryx; also bushbuck Tragelaphus scriptus, blue duiker Cephalophus monticola, klipspringer Oreotragus oreotragus and oribi Ourebia ourebi.”
“Now one of the rarest savanna antelopes in Nigeria, klipspringer were at one point found in Bauchi, Bornu and Zaria provinces, and were widespread on the Bauchi Plateau.”
“Several other mammals occur in Nigeria only on the Jos Plateau, including the bushveld horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus simulator), the high-crowned bat (Miniopterus inflatus), dark-eared climbing mouse (Dendromus melanotis), and the West African subspecies of klipspringer (Oreotragus oreotragus porteousi, EN).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘klipspringer’.
a large light-coloured antelope with curled horns. L. from an African word quoted by Pliny.
any one of a group of hollow-horned...
Looking for tweets for klipspringer.