from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A fine strainer used to clear paper-pulp from clots or knots as it passes to the paper-making machine.
  • n. In textile-manuf, a hand-device for mechanically tying together two ends of yarn or thread.
  • n. The mechanism in a harvester and binder which ties the knots in the binding-cord.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.