from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A wind instrument of the Renaissance with a curving tube and a double reed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a mediaeval and Renaissance wind instrument
- n. a stop on an organ
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A reed instrument of music of the cornet kind, now obsolete (see cornet, 1, a.).
- n. A reed stop in the organ; -- sometimes called cremona.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A medieval musical instrument of the clarinet class, having a curved tube and a melancholy tone.
- n. In organ-building, a reed-stop with short, slender metal pipes, and a tone like that of the clarinet. Also called clarinet-stop, cromorna, and corruptly cremona.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Renaissance woodwind with a double reed and a curving tube (crooked horn)
German : krumm, crooked (from Middle High German krump, krum, from Old High German krump) + Horn, horn; see alpenhorn.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
German Krummhorn, from krumm ‘crooked’ + Horn ‘horn’. (Wiktionary)
Cromorne is the German "krummhorn;" there is no English equivalent known.
*Tunes up accompanying band: krummhorn, lute adn bagpipez*
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.