from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lip or liplike structure, such as the one forming the roof of the mouth in insects.
- n. The outer margin of the opening of a gastropod shell.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The uppermost of the mouthparts (trophi) of a typical insect, such as a cockroach. Typically resembles an upper lip and forms part of the roof of the mouth in such insects.
- n. Any of several lip-like projections.
- n. A large basin of warm water, with an overhanging lip, in a Roman bath.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lip or edge, as of a basin.
- n. An organ in insects and crustaceans covering the upper part of the mouth, and serving as an upper lip. See Illust. of Hymenoptera.
- n. The external margin of the aperture of a shell. See Univalve.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoöl, alip or lip-like part. Specifically
- n. In Rom. archæol., a bath-tub, especially one of those of hard, fine material more or loss richly sculptured, rather common in the museums of Italy. Also called lavabrum.
You’ve pulled a ligament called the labrum, which is what the cartilage is attached to in order to hold your shoulder bone in the socket.
The labrum is a fibrous structure that surrounds the rim of the hip socket ( "acetabulum") and has an important sealing function that protects the cartilage layers of the hip like a "gasket seal."
The labrum was a great basin or round vase of white marble, rather more than five feet in diameter, into which the hot water bubbled up through a pipe in its centre, and served for the partial ablutions of those who took the vapor-bath.
Kesler needed the operation to repair his labrum, which is a type of cartilage that surrounds the socket of ball-and-socket joints.
The labrum is a rim of soft tissue that lines the shoulder's ball-and-socket joint and keeps the shoulder stable.
He was trying to pitch with a torn labrum, which is a little like a miler trying to run with a broken ankle.
The labrum is a ring of fibrous cartilage around the edge of the joint surface of a bone.
The labrum is a fibrous structure that surrounds the rim of the hip socket
They also had to deal with some bone spurs and the labrum was a torn mess, and when allthat was donr, they used pins and screws to put the Glenoid back together.
The labrum is a piece of cartilage that goes around the mouth of the acetabulum, which is a cup.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.