from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. plural The kidney-vetch, Anthyllis Vulneraria. The name has also been given to many other plants.
- n. One of the hairy appendages of the legs of lobsters, attached to the base of the leg. They are the gills or branchiæ. See exopodite.
- n. A kind of confectioners' cake, or of sponge-cake, so named from the long and slender form.
- n. A finger-shaped variety of the potato formerly common, small, white, and of delicate flavor.
- n. A variety of apple. Also ladyfinger.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tall coarse annual of Old World tropics widely cultivated in southern United States and West Indies for its long mucilaginous green pods used as basis for soups and stews; sometimes placed in genus Hibiscus
Sorry, no etymologies found.