from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A flat board held on the lap as a substitute for a table or desk.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A board held on the lap as a simple lap desk.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A board used on the lap as a substitute for a table, as by tailors.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A thin, flat board, sometimes cut out on one side to fit the body, held on the lap for convenience in needlework, shoemaking, and similar occupations. Also called lap-table.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. writing board used on the lap as a table or desk
Sorry, no etymologies found.