American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An aromatic Turkish tobacco.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fine variety of Turkish tobacco.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A superior quality of Turkish smoking tobacco, so called from the place where produced, the ancient Laodicea.
- n. a seaport on the western coast of Syria
- n. aromatic Turkish tobacco
- From Latakia (the Syrian port from where the tobacco is shipped, and near where it is produced), from Arabic اللاذقية. (Wiktionary)
- Short for Latakia (tobacco), after Latakia, Syrian seaport. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“There were forty or fifty people there, drinking coffee and sirops and filling the air with the fumes of latakia.”
“She suggested to him some subjects that he might develop, and taught him — up to then opposed to the weed — how to smoke latakia tobacco in a hookah pipe.”
“Very image conscious—an Excalibur and a Corniche, conspicuous clothes, blonds on each arm, blew Dunhill latakia through a thousand-dollar meerschaum.”
“He leaned back and savored the exotic smoke: perique, latakia, and Turkish, flavoring a base of the finest Virginia.”
“He found his highness reclining upon a divan, his back supported by cushions, smoking latakia in a chibouque, while an icoglan scratched the soles of his feet, and two slaves fanned him.”
“Madame Dudevant was an excessive smoker, and during Balzac's visit to her, she had him smoke a hooka and latakia which he enjoyed so much that he wrote to Madame Hanska, asking her to get him a hooka in”
“Constantinople that the best could be found; he wished her also, if she could find true latakia in Moscow, to send him five or six pounds, as opportunities were rare to get it from Constantinople.”
“She found Monsieur Harmost fidgeting up and down the room, whose opened windows could not rid it of the smell of latakia.”
“The scent of latakia tobacco that had soaked into things, and of old books and music,”
“In about the space of a second a private door opened, and Ali appeared, bringing two chibouques filled with excellent latakia.”
Looking for tweets for latakia.