from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of very many brightly-coloured beetles, of the family Chrysomelidae, that feed on plant leaves.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any beetle which feeds upon leaves; esp., any species of the family Chrysomelidæ, as the potato beetle and helmet beetle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A beetle of the family Chrysomelidæ, nearly all the members of which are leaf-feeders both as larvæ and as adults.
- n. Particular leaf-beetles (and so with leaf-cutters, root-borers, etc.) are known by some distinctive adjective or attribute prefixed, as bean leaf-beetle (‘leaf-beetle of the bean’). All such three-word names may be taken also as bean-leaf beetle (‘beetle of the bean-leaf’), etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. brightly colored beetle that feeds on plant leaves; larvae infest roots and stems
Sorry, no etymologies found.