from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any insect of the family Cicadellidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any small jumping hemipterous insect of the genus Tettigonia, and allied genera. They live upon the leaves and twigs of plants. See Live hopper.
- n. A small leaping insect that sucks the juices of plants.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hemipterous insect of the family Jassidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small leaping insect that sucks the juices of plants
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The rose bush may have lice or it may have a little green bug that jumps very quickly and so gets its name of leaf-hopper.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.