from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An insect belonging to the large order Lepidoptera, which includes the butterflies and moths, characterized by four membranous wings covered with small scales.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any insect of the order Lepidoptera; the butterflies and moths
- adj. Characteristic of these insects
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Same as lepidopterous.
- n. An insect that in the adult state has four wings more or less covered with tiny scales; a lepidopterous insect.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as lepidopterous.
- n. Same as lepidopter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. insect that in the adult state has four wings more or less covered with tiny scales
From New Latin Lepidoptera, order name : lepido- + Greek ptera, pl. of pteron, wing, winged creature; see -pter.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)