from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of the small, flat, transparent larvae of eels and certain other fishes, characterized by a long, narrow head.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the larva of an eel, flat in shape and transparent
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A spurious genus of eel-like fishes, having a very thin diaphanous body, formerly regarded as a valid generic type and hence giving name to the Leptocephalidæ, but now generally considered to be the larval form of a conger.
- n. The larval or aborted stage of the conger and allied fishes, when the body is much compressed and hyaline and no generative organs are developed.
- n. The genus otherwise called Conger.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. slender transparent larva of eels and certain fishes
New Latin : lepto- + cephalus, head (from Greek -kephalos, -headed); see -cephalous.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)