American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One of the small, flat, transparent larvae of eels and certain other fishes, characterized by a long, narrow head.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A spurious genus of eel-like fishes, having a very thin diaphanous body, formerly regarded as a valid generic type and hence giving name to the Leptocephalidæ, but now generally considered to be the larval form of conger.
- n. The larval or aborted stage of the conger and allied fishes, when the body is much compressed and hyaline and no generative organs are developed.
- n. The genus otherwise called Conger.
- n. slender transparent larva of eels and certain fishes
- New Latin : lepto- + cephalus, head (from Greek -kephalos, -headed); see -cephalous. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“An immature moray eel is called a leptocephalus, Latin for "small head.”
“The larva of moray eels, called leptocephalus, get distributed throughout the oceans.”
“The hatched leptocephalus drift with the North Equatorial Current toward Philippine.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘leptocephalus’.
lots and lots of fish, a piscatorial
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words and phrases about eels.
These are just some random words that I might find a list for someday.
These have some growing up to do.
Looking for tweets for leptocephalus.