from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. Gutters or channels on each side of a ship's keelson that drain bilge water into the pump well.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of limber.
- v. Third-person singular simple present indicative form of limber.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a channel or gutter on either side of a ship's keelson; carries bilge water into the pump well
The limbers were the last things to turn up, being in the rear of the battalion, but when they did the cooks soon pulled the necessary things out and proceeded to knock up a meal.
Perhaps Acrobatic Dancing is the most difficult of all the types to master -- that is, it most certainly requires a degree of strength that the other dances do not demand; sufficient strength in the arms to support the weight of the body in the hand-stand and the cartwheel, flexibility of the muscles in order to do the "limbers" and back-bends.
Sometimes heartbreaking, often very funny, Summertime shows us a great writer as he limbers up for his task.
Outside, in the broiling humidity, with his venerable coach Brooks Johnson and the 110m hurdler David Oliver, who won bronze at both the last Olympics and world championships, Gatlin limbers up gingerly.
It limbers all the upper back muscles and joints, as well as stretching the rib cage and lungs, allowing more freshly oxygenated blood into the nerves and tissues of the heart and lungs.
• Strengthens and limbers shoulders, ankles, and chest
• Strengthens and limbers hip joints and groin muscles
• Strengthens back muscles and limbers spinal column
• Gently limbers spine in preparation for full Spine Twist
I watched gun limbers being swung down from a derrick, and cursing, half-naked gangs hauling them away; the whole pier was piled with crates and bundles, and for all the world it looked like the levee at New Orleans, except that this was a temporary town of huts and tents and lean-to's.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.