from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To contest in legal proceedings.
- intransitive v. To engage in legal proceedings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To go to law.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To carry on a suit by judicial process.
- transitive v. To make the subject of a lawsuit; to contest in law; to prosecute or defend by pleadings, exhibition of evidence, and judicial debate in a court.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To carry on a suit by judicial process.
- To make the subject of a suit at law; bring before a court of law for decision; prosecute or defend at law, as a right or claim.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. engage in legal proceedings
- v. institute legal proceedings against; file a suit against
If the Republicans swagger in and try to "litigate" this on the public airwaves, President Obama will dismiss them out of hand.
When underlings asked him to defend the company more forcefully against charges that it was largely to blame for the housing crisis, he told employees that he didn't want to "litigate" the past, two people familiar with the matter said.
Neither the Group nor Fiesta-Panama will "litigate" its legal proceedings in the press.
As to the latter, Judge Berzon in her opinion said, “Here, however, Coalition has not proven except by assertion that the remaining detainees have no relationship with anyone who could appropriately serve to litigate the legality of the detention.”
He might litigate there for years only to see the Court later in another case hold that such suits were barred by sovereign immunity.
Lets just litigate and regulate until there is nothing left but lawyers, unions and government.
Mahan Atma: Look, I litigate these kinds of cases for a living.
Look, I litigate these kinds of cases for a living.
According to its mission statement, attorneys with the alliance litigate matters protecting religious freedom, the sanctity of human life, and traditional family values ....
Somewhere on my long list of things to do when the last of my kids goes off to college is an attempt to get enough gun owners to join the ACLU to get the ACLU to litigate thislaw.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.