American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various bottom-dwelling, large-mouthed fishes of the family Synodontidae of warm seas, having a lizardlike head.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A ganoid fish of the group of sauroids.
- n. A fish of the genus Synodus, of which there are several species, as the sandpike, S. fœtens, found from Cape Cod southward. S. lucioceps occurs on the Californian and Mexican coasts.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) Any of several mostly tropical marine scopeloid fish of the family
Synodontidaehaving large mouths in lizardlike heads, especially the inshore lizardfish (Synodus foetens syn. Synodus poeyi) of Mideastern and Southern United States and West Indies; -- sometimes called sand pike.
- n. tropical fishes with large mouths in lizard-like heads; found worldwide
- lizard + fish (Wiktionary)
These user-created lists contain the word ‘lizardfish’.
A list for terms and phrases that I haven't (yet) entered into themed lists, including my series of various 151-word Random Palavery lists. Constructions that catch my eye, ring in my ears, tease m...
Looking for tweets for lizardfish.