American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A set amount paid by a prospective husband to the bride's family among certain peoples in southern Africa.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A present, usually of cattle, given by the bridegroom to the father of the bride, as is customary among the Zulus and other tribes of South Africa; also, the custom itself.
- n. South Africa The dowry paid to a bride's family to secure a wedding among certain Bantu peoples of South Africa.
- From Xhosa lobola, Zulu lobola ("pay dowry"). (Wiktionary)
- Zulu -lóbólà, dowry, give a dowry. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Today, even Christian Basotho who want to be married in the church usually uphold many traditional customs, especially the payment of a bride-price, known in Sesotho as bohali, but sometimes also called lobola, from the name used by another Southern African people, the Zulu.”
“Many South African marriages have as their foundation bride-price, or lobola, which is coming under fire from parliamentarians and jurists for discriminating against the rights of women.”
“As lobola, which is often paid in livestock, does not form the basis for a civil marriage, family law is not applicable in these marriages, but now a new law aims to improve the position of black women.”
“It seeks views on whether the bridal price, known as lobola, should be abolished 'in line with changing times and in the interest of gender equality'.”
“The Prime Minister reportedly paid a bride price, known as lobola, of $US36,000 about $35,500 and 15 cattle to his new in-laws.”
“Other Zulu words are already entrenched: "lobola" (dowry),”
“Many daughters have been borne to me since, and my kraal is full of their 'lobola' cattle, but the only girl of the lot that I was ever really fond of was Nomalie -- perhaps because she was my first child.”
“Part of the idea of lobola is that the family is paying for the right to count a woman’s children as belonging to their name and lineage.”
“The plot turns on the African custom of lobola, in which the family of a bride is compensated for her loss with a payment, traditionally cattle.”
“Moseneke said that property was always held in a trust for others and in the case of lobola it would be managed for the benefit of everyone in the household.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘lobola’.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
Looking for tweets for lobola.