from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous plants of the genus Pedicularis, having clusters of irregular, variously colored flowers. Also called wood betony.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of very many semiparasitic flowering plants, of the genus Pedicularis, related to wood betony.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any species of Pedicularis, a genus of perennial herbs. It was said to make sheep that fed on it lousy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A scrophulariaceous plant of the genus Pedicularis.
- n. The stavesacre, Delphinium Staphisagria, the powdered seeds of which have been used from ancient times to destroy lice. Also louse-herb.
From the belief that sheep feeding on it were prone to lice.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
louse + wort (Wiktionary)