American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Islam A building or group of buildings used for teaching Islamic theology and religious law, typically including a mosque.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In India, a school or college for the education of youth. Also, corruptly, madressah, madrissah, madrissa, medresseh.
- n. Islam A school for any kind of teaching, at any grade level. It may have courses in Islamic theology and religious law, but it is not a requirement.
- n. Muslim schools in Bangladesh and Pakistan
- From Arabic مدرسة (madrasa) f. "school". (Wiktionary)
- Arabic madrasa, from darasa, to study; see drš in Semitic roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A linguistic note: while the word madrasah simply means 'school' in Arabic, as a loan word in Indonesian it does seem to refer specifically to Islamic schools.”
“The Syrian regime has established 300 religious schools I hate it when people in US congress and media now use the word "madrasah", not knowing that it merely means "school.”
“SHARIF ABDEL KOUDDOUS: And explain, as Stop the Madrassa - "madrasah" just means”
“Singapore school offers a new model for 'madrasah”
“Abdussabur said of his school, explaining that the term" madrasah "is used to describe" the highest level of education you can get in the Islamic world. ”
“Libo's Essa El Hamisi says that Zwara's Salafis have grown to 300-400 from a handful, taking over a mosque and starting a madrasah where students are punished by beatings on the soles of their feet.”
“We spent hours purposely lost in the labyrinth of ancient coral mansions, while eating cheap street food, chants wafting over from a nearby madrasah.”
“Unless, of course, the reformers need to shut down your neighborhood school and turn it into a corporate-styled testing madrasah, i. e., charter school.”
“• Eye witnesses claim he was born in both a Mombasa slum and an Indonesian madrasah.”
“Of course, this will only happen under the condition that instead of sitting in a madrasah today, these boys are sitting in front of computers.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘madrasah’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
uncategorized words that I enjoy
Looking for tweets for madrasah.