from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A square that contains numbers arranged in equal rows and columns such that the sum of each row, column, and sometimes diagonal is the same.
- n. A similar square containing letters in particular arrangements that spell out the same word or words.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A palindromic square word arrangement, usually in the form of a magic amulet.
- n. An n-by-n arrangement of n2 numbers such that the numbers in each row, in each column and along both diagonals all have the same sum.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. numbers so disposed in parallel and equal rows in the form of a square, that each row, taken vertically, horizontally, or diagonally, shall give the same sum, the same product, or an harmonical series, according as the numbers taken are in arithmetical, geometrical, or harmonical progression.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a square matrix of n rows and columns; the first n^2 integers are arranged in the cells of the matrix in such a way that the sum of any row or column or diagonal is the same
Sorry, no etymologies found.