American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Differences in the earth's magnetic field in time and location.
- n. See magnetic declination.
- n. military, nautical, navigation In navigation, at a given place and time, the horizontal angle between the true north and magnetic north measured east or west according to whether magnetic north lies east or west of true north.
- n. cartography In cartography, the annual change in direction of the horizontal component of the Earth’s magnetic field.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Same as magnetic declination.
- n. the angle (at a particular location) between magnetic north and true north
“The observations of Borrus on the magnetic variation of the compass appear to be of more importance, but unfortunately they have not yet been published.”
“Moreover, the magnetic variation is 18 degrees 3 degrees at Talcahuano April 23rd, the true meridian bearing to the right of the magnetic.”
‘magnetic variation’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for magnetic variation.