from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A device for detecting and recording variations in the intensity and direction of magnetic fields.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A instrument for measuring changes in the direction and intensity of magnetic fields
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An automatic instrument for registering, by photography or otherwise, the states and variations of any of the terrestrial magnetic elements.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A magnetometer arranged to give an automatic and continuous record of the changes in position of the magnet under the influence of the earth. This is accomplished by the reflection of a spot of light from a mirror attached to the magnet on to a drum of sensitized paper turned by clockwork.
- n. The record of a magnetometer; a magnetogram.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a scientific instrument that registers magnetic variations (especially variations of the earth's magnetic field)
Sorry, no etymologies found.