American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See Barbary ape.
- n. A fanciful, often grotesque figurine in the Japanese or Chinese style rendered in a crouching position.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Middle English form of maggot.
- n. The Barbary ape, Inuus ecaudatus, which has a small tubercle in place of a tail. It is naturalized on the rock of Gibraltar, and is remarkable for docility and attachment to its young. See cut under
- n. A small grotesque figure; especially, one of the crouching or cross-legged figures common in Chinese or other Oriental art as knobs on the covers of large vases, and in similar uses.
- n. archaic The Barbary ape.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) The Barbary ape.
- French (Wiktionary)
- French, from Old French magos, a kind of monkey, from Magog, Magos, Magog, name of biblical land (Ezekiel 38-39) and tribe (Revelation 20:8-9), used as an emblem of ugliness in medieval romances. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Why in hell are these people giving their opinions on what was and what wasn't done during the arrest of this magot.”
“Bravo-Zulu to our law enforcement officers for catching this magot.”
“In some few this stump is so very short that there appears to be no tail, as in the magot of North Africa and Gibraltar, and in an allied species that inhabits Japan.”
“By magot-pies, and choughs, and rooks brought forth”
“For I have lived long enough to learn that the monstrous and outlandish figure, the _magot chinois_ whom I believed to be but a memorial of our forefathers 'mental aberration, that grotesque _potiche_, works!”
“But it is not generally known that, on European ground, the magot is not confined solely to the”
“Osmond Crooke shall lend thee his bow, and thy quarry shall be yon magot-pie. ”
“_potiche_, a _magot chinois_ conceived by a childish and extravagant imagination, but allowed to stand in stolid impotence in the twilight of the upper shelf.”
“Who cares about DNA when it comes to this sack of shit he has been found guilty in a court of law and the taxpayer should have the right to put this magot to sleep with a axe.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘magot’.
big ones,small ones,as many as
I can find
Looking for tweets for magot.