from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The longer of the two lines about which an ellipse is symmetrical; the axis that passes through both focuses of an ellipse.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The longest diameter of an ellipse, running through the center and foci, with its ends being the widest points of the shape.
- n. The diameter of a circle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The greater axis of a geometrical figure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the longest axis of an ellipse or ellipsoid; passes through the two foci
Sorry, no etymologies found.