from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To feign illness or other incapacity in order to avoid duty or work.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To feign illness, injury, or incapacitation in order to avoid work or obligation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To act the part of a malingerer; to feign illness or inability.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To feign illness; sham sickness in order to avoid duty; counterfeit disease.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. avoid responsibilities and duties, e.g., by pretending to be ill
From French malingre, sickly.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French malingrer, from adjective malingre. (Wiktionary)