from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A European cultivar of the sour cherry tree (Prunus cerasus) bearing bitter red fruit from which maraschino is made.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A European cultivar of the wild cherry, Prunus cerasus, that has bright red fruit used for making maraschino.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The small bitter fruit of the marasca cherry tree from whose juice maraschino liqueur is made.
- n. The marasca cherry.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small black wild cherry, a variety of Prunus avium, from which maraschino is distilled.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Dalmatian bitter wild cherry tree bearing fruit whose juice is made into maraschino liqueur
- n. small bitter fruit of the marasca cherry tree from whose juice maraschino liqueur is made
Italian; see maraschino.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)