from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cosmopolitan aquatic herb (Hippuris vulgaris) having minute flowers and linear whorled leaves.
- n. A long narrow cirrus cloud with a flowing appearance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A long streaky cloud, spreading out like a horse's tail, and believed to indicate rain; a cirrus cloud. See cloud.
- n. An aquatic plant of the genus Hippuris (Hippuris vulgaris), having narrow leaves in whorls.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant of the genus Hippuris: most properly H. vulgaris.
- n. The horsetail, Equisetum. See bottle-brush, 2.
- n. plural Long straight fibers of gray cirrus cloud, an indication of the approach of stormy weather.
- n. In anatomy, the cauda equina (which see, under cauda).
- Like a mare's tail; of the kind called mare's-tails: said of clouds.
- n. The horseweed, Leptilon Canadense.
- n. The heath-aster, Aster ericoides.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a long narrow flowing cirrus cloud
Sorry, no etymologies found.