American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Potatoes that are boiled and mashed, often with milk and butter.
- n. uncountable Potatoes that have been boiled and mashed to a pulpy consistency.
- n. Plural form of mashed potato.
- n. skiing Partially melted snow with a pulpy texture, making for slow skiing.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Potatoes which have been boiled and mashed to a pulpy consistency, usu. with sparing addition of milk, salt, butter, or other flavoring. It is a popular accompaniment to a meat course [U.S., 1900's], providing bulk and calories to a meal.
“Karla’s excellent southern cooking lingers as a shimmering grease spot on my memory: oily waffles with melted butter and brown sugar syrup, delicately crispy fried chicken and beer-battered prawns smothered in tartar sauce, pork chops with caramel baked apples, biscuits and mashed potatoes drowning in sausage gravy.”
“If you’re sitting at home eating mashed potatoes with gravy, just say, Soggy tators on the way!”
““Don’t you worry about that, hon,” she says, glopping mashed potatoes onto my plate.”
“He sat, turned down a drink, listened to the specials, chose grilled rockfish with mashed potatoes after a salad, oil and vinegar, and began to work on a little plate of on-the-house munchies in sour cream the waiter had brought before he’d taken the order.”
“It was his first day of school in the United States, and after we collided, his dress shirt was splotched with mashed potatoes and school gravy.”
“We make a craft project, have an ugly-bathrobe contest and a fashion clinic, and eat mashed potatoes out of martini glasses.”
“The porkchop smelled good, and the mashed potatoes above it looked fluffy and moist.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘mashed potatoes’.
Dishes that are absolutely essential to my favorite holiday. And some musical instructions on how to make them (in the comments section).
turkey, cranberry sauce (..., mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes wi..., candied yams, parker house rolls, stuffing, gravy, whole cranberry s..., pumpkin pie, ambrosia salad, a lonely Thanksgi... and 2 more...
Things that are instant.
Environmental Ice and Snow
(excluding all the food ice)
Looking for tweets for mashed potatoes.