American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various solitary bees of the family Megachilidae, found worldwide, that build clay nests.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An aculeate hymenopterous insect of one of the genera Anthophora, Osmia, Chalicodoma, and some others, which construct their nests with grains of sand agglutinated together by means of a viscid saliva, and fix them on the side of walls, etc., or avail themselves of some cavity for that purpose. See cut under Anthophora.
- n. zoology Any of the bees of the genus Osmia, which have the habit of making compartments of mud in their nests.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) any one of numerous species of solitary bees of the genus Osmia. They construct curious nests of hardened mud and sand.
- n. any of numerous solitary bees that build nests of hardened mud and sand
Sorry, no example sentences found.
‘mason bee’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for mason bee.