from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various solitary wasps, especially of the subfamily Eumeninae, that build nests of mud.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A potter wasp.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any wasp that constructs its nest, or brood cells, of hardened mud. The female fills the cells with insects or spiders, paralyzed by a sting, and thus provides food for its larvæ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An aculeate hymenopterous insect of the genus Odynerus, family Vespidæ; a kind of solitary wasp: so called from the ingenuity with which it constructs its habitations in the sand, in the plaster of walls, etc. O. murarius is an example.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. solitary wasp that constructs nests of hardened mud or clay for the young
- n. any of various solitary wasps that construct nests of hardened mud for their young
Sorry, no etymologies found.