from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A petty officer assigned to maintain order.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A warrant officer or chief petty officer responsible for discipline aboard a naval ship.
- n. A commissioned officer responsible for overseeing all fitness training in subordinate units.
- n. A petty officer responsible for law enforcement, antiterrorism, force protection, and expeditionary warfare.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The senior petty officer of a ship, responsible for discipline aboard the ship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In a man-of-war, a petty officer of the first class; the chief police officer of the ship, whose duties are to take charge of all prisoners, and to keep order on the berth-deck. His assistants are called ship's corporals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the senior petty officer; responsible for discipline aboard ship
Sorry, no etymologies found.