from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A petty officer assigned to maintain order.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A warrant officer or chief petty officer responsible for discipline aboard a naval ship.
- n. A commissioned officer responsible for overseeing all fitness training in subordinate units.
- n. A petty officer responsible for law enforcement, antiterrorism, force protection, and expeditionary warfare.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The senior petty officer of a ship, responsible for discipline aboard the ship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In a man-of-war, a petty officer of the first class; the chief police officer of the ship, whose duties are to take charge of all prisoners, and to keep order on the berth-deck. His assistants are called ship's corporals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the senior petty officer; responsible for discipline aboard ship
Sorry, no etymologies found.
He was halted by the master-at-arms on watch outside Narby's suite, cuffed around a bit for his insistence on entering, referred to a boredly unsympathetic clerk who took his name and told him to return to his village and wait to be summoned.
A brisk walk of a mile and a half down a wide tunnel moderately crowded with traffic: travelers, porters, an occasional pushcart, a dignified scientist swinging in a litter borne by four husky orderlies and preceded by his master-at-arms to clear the common crew out of the way.
Narby's knife was at his belt; Alan was painfully aware that he had been required to deposit his own with the master-at-arms.
But he inquired nervously of Alan as Alan retrieved his weapon from the master-at-arms, "You're a good knife?"
A Navy master-at-arms, he wished to remain anonymous for fear of retribution.
Recently, navy master-at-arms have been integrated into the guard force.
Donal reproaches Jon for taking advantage of his superior training, pointing out that none of the other boys had the opportunity to study swordsmanship under a great castle's master-at-arms.
Catelyn and Ser Rodrik arrive in Kings Landing and take rooms at an inn; Ser Rodrik goes to find Ser Aron Santagar, the Red Keep's master-at-arms, to ask him if he knows the dagger.
Ser Rodrik is Winterfell's master-at-arms, and Donachie also played the master-at-arms in TITANTIC.
Schnell was serving as a master-at-arms assigned to
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.